Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:38:59 EDT
From:
Donna Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>

well i got more responses asking for a summary-it seems this is
something alot of people miss - there was one who said "Alas, phyllo
dough and croissant dough are about the only things we cant duplicate or
approach" (hmm..how about croissants?? didnt even think of that!!.)

..but i got ONE that said otherwise..a reputable source id say -from a
gluten-free cookbook author..her suggestions were also repeated by a few
others-but hers with the most detail which i will include below...

**I use rice papers in place of phyllo dough.  They are readily
available at oriental stores.  Rice papers are very brittle and need to
be soaked in cold water about 5 minutes before using.  Then I put one
rice paper on a board, brush it with melted butter or GF margarine, fill
it with whatever filling I am using, roll it up (folding in the edges),
then place it on a greased cookie sheet.  Then I brush the tops with
melted butter, cover, and refrigerate until ready to bake (up to 24
hours).  Unfortunately, you cannot freeze these before baking..the rice
paper gets too brittle then.  Bake as you would the phyllo, but the rice
paper will not brown as phyllo does.  Taste:  The rice paper tastes
great when served hot from the oven.  If allowed to cool to room
temperature, it will get doughy and tough to chew.  I have tried making
layers of rice paper and filling in 9 X 13 inch pans, but the bottoms
get too soggy while the top gets too hard and dry.  It's best to make
individually-rolled pieces.  When served warm, the rice paper is almost
as good as the phyllo.

Connie Sarros

so my friends it looks like this is our only hope for some reasonable
facsimilie of phyllo so far...ive wondered about almond flour or the
bean flours but no one suggested it..and id suppose making your own
'phyllo' would be an awesome task -as it is with wheat flour anyway...
if anyone else tries the above before i do -or anything else-id love to
know how it goes...if i get anymore different responses i will post
those as well donna clifton park ny