From:
Paul Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 12:08:22 -0500
Greetings to all,

Thanks to all for your suggestions and support. I am happy to report that this
adventure finally turned out to be a complete success!!

I ordered a replacement mobo, CPU, and memory chip, not knowing which of the
original ones was the culprit. As suggested, I installed the original T'bird
1GHz CPU and 256Mb PC133 SDRAM and old PCI video card, with monitor connected,
into the replacement AV7133 on a nonconductive surface with the Enlight 300W
P/S removed from the case. This time, I made sure that the chipset fan was not
jammed. With much trepidation and a prayer or two, I pushed the start switch.
Much to my delight, all of the fans whirred to life and the system went into POST!!

When I was shopping for replacement parts, I found the mobo, CPU, and SDRAM for
a better price at Newegg.com. As a result, I ended up buying a T'bird 1.4GHz CPU
which is overclockable, altho I don't plan to do so at this time.

So, I replaced the 1GHz T'Bird with the 1.4GHz T'Bird, and added the second 256Mb
PC133 SDRAM. I also replaced the PCI video board with an ATI All-In-Wonder 128
Pro 4X AGP board. I also mounted the HSF with Arctic Silver II. The system again
booted successfully, allowing me to set up the motherboard in the BIOS. I really
like the BIOS setup, instead of messing with all of the switches and jumpers.

After struggling thru the installation of Win 98SE, the system is finally up and
humming, for which I am very thankful.

In the final analysis, apparently the original A7V133 was damaged when I first
powered it up with the jammed chipset fan. I will return it for a refund.

So, my final system came out to be as follows:

Enlight 7237 case w/300W P/S & additional case fan
ASUS A7V133 mobo
Athlon T'Bird 1.4GHz CPU
Coolermaster EP5-6I11-A1, 4800 RPM HSF w/Arctic Silver II thermal compound
256Mb Micron Tech + 256Mb Samsung PC133 SDRAM
IBM 40Gb 7200 RPM ATA 100 HDD
ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro 4X AGP video card w/TV out
Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1
3Com 2977 internal V90 PCI modem

After using my original 200MHz system for the last 4 years, this system really
appears to be a whizzer!

No apparent incompatibility between the Micron Tech and Samsung SDRAM.

The mobo/CPU temps seem to stay in the range of 28-30ºC/49-51ºC, as reported in
the BIOS. As reported by others, there is a noticable discrepancy between the
temperatures reported in the BIOS and those reported by the ASUS Probe software.
Consequently, I dumped the ASUS Probe and downloaded the freeware program,
MB Probe, which follows the BIOS numbers accurately. I also like the small
temperature window in the bottom Task Bar which alternates between the mobo and
CPU temps and gives real time readings.

Again, thanks to all who took the time to respond to my cries for help and so
freely offered their experience and expertise. I have learned a lot from the
many quality responses posted on this forum.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml