C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:37:40 +0000
On Friday 07 Dec 2001 3:29 pm, K. Salkin wrote:

> As we've said here before, not by itself, no, it doesn't. But in
> moving abnormally, we put a lot of wear and tear on our bodies and
> that's not good in the long run.  It's especially evident in those
> of us who were really physically active in our younger years, I
> think. In my case, I did everything in my teens through 30's:
> hiking, volleyball, softball, swimming, etc., etc.  You name it, I
> did it.  So now I have severe osteoarthritis in my hip joint and
> knees, and am in a wheelchair. I wore my body out.
>
> Sure, everybody goes through wear and tear on the body, disabled or
> non-disabled, but as I said, it's worse in those of us who don't
> move the "correct" way and do too much, and the damage is faster
> and more severe.
>

>         Kathy S.

I have a problem with the general tone of advice we're giving to
parents on the List. It seems to be "Look at all the things I did
when I was young - and look at me now." The implied inference being
don't overdo it when your young.

Fiddlesticks!! Do push yourself when you're young. Do dare to do
whatever opportunity casts your way. Don't consider what "might"
happen 20 years on. The skeletal deterioration described by many may
not be linearly mapped to physical activity when young (i.e. more
activity = more deterioration). It may be that ANY physical activity
leads to deterioration, so no matter what you do the problem will
manifest.

Personally I consider current (increased) weight to be a major factor
in joint deterioration, and I hope Carla's proposed questionnaire
includes questions which elicit weight gain/loss during ageing as
well.

Cheers

Deri