From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:08:46 -0400
>Or you can go into safe mode/control panel/system/device manager and look
>for duplicate items. In the past I have been able solve this problem by
>simply deleting the extra duplicate icons of each item in the device
>manager.
>However, there have been times when Windows will rediscover the same
>duplicate items on the next reboot  and reinstall these items before your
>bootup to Windows platform finishes. Try it and see if this will solve your
>issue.
>PS while your in there check for conflicts between devices as well! (IRQ and
>I/O)

Problem is that in Windows device manager there are no duplicates, you only see that in safe mode.  In Windows you don't see any conflicts, and same in safe mode.  There is no obvious reason for seeing 2 primary IDE's and 2 secondary IDE's only in safe mode.  When it boots up and runs (like now), it runs perfectly, and nothing shows in device manager that is out of the ordinary.  In the last few days, for unknown reasons, I've been able to boot directly into windows, although device manager in safe mode still shows the 2 primaries and 2 secondaries.  Still, I would like to know what is the parent device of the hard disk controllers so that I can remove them.  This is the only question I have.

>> I have had this problem on various machines.
>> Windows plug and play is having trouble
>> with the enumeration of your hardware.
>> It is even worse if the hardware is "close"
>> but not close enough to know it is wrong.
>> Sometimes you can overcome it, and lots
>> of times you can not.
>> If you have a simple system, I agree with
>> Chuck - generally.
>> You can spend more time trying to
>> patch it up than starting from scratch.
>>
>> If your system has lots of data and not too much clutter,
>> you could always try one of the less aggressive ways
>> of re-installing Windows, like on top of itself, or
>> re-naming the Windows directory and doing a new
>> default install... Either of these has risks, and be sure
>> to have your driver disks and programs ready just in case
>> for "over the top" and for sure with a re-name of Windows.
>> If you are only getting to safe mode now, you certainly
>> need to try something!         Rick Glazier

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com