C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:09:29 +0000
On Friday 25 Jan 2002 5:07 pm, Elizabeth H. Thiers wrote:
> Ok folks here a sensitive question in the mist of all this Monty
> Python business, (I'm a real late comer to that considering I was
> still in diapers for part of the early '70's).
>
> Seriously though, I work for a charitible organization, giving out
> free therapy.  Part of my job is to solisitit (sp?) ok ask for ,
> mooch money off the members of the service organization that funds
> my job.  I try hard not to do the "Jerry's" kid routine with them
> but, I got to get money out of them.  So, I try moving toward the
> how we help kids do what other kids do, etc.  Now, what I'm asking
> for is more angles to go about this.  I'm looking for ways I can
> ask for money, without the "poor-helpless-kid-routine", yuckie
> anyways.  Got ideas, suggestions, be nice, I' the toy lady.
>

> Beth t the ot

First you demonstrate the need within the community for the service
your charitable organisation provides - not a diffcult task I should
think!!

Then stress:-

        Small Charites are more cost effective at providing the service
        Quicker at adapting to individual needs using a limited budget
        Have committed and motivated staff
        Etc.

The point being that you are trying to convince them they are
actually saving money by giving it to you (well not YOU
personally!!), and they will save more by giving you more so that you
can take on more work.

Bean counters (in charge of public money) can then part with the dosh
with a clean conscience. Particularly good to back up arguments with
som juicy stats.

Cheers

Deri