AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 11:46:38 -0600
Youssou N'dour scraps US tour
Senegalese singer-songwriter and international star Youssou N'dour has
cancelled a tour of North America in protest at a possible US-led war on
Iraq.

Youssou N'dour, who had planned the seven-week 38-city tour beginning on
26 March, said in a statement that it would be "inappropriate to perform
in the US at this juncture".
"As a matter of conscience, I question the United States government's
apparent intention to commence war in Iraq," the musician said.

"It is my strong conviction that the responsibility for disarming Iraq
should rest with the United Nations."

But the 43-year-old Senegalese star - who has become arguably the most
easily recognised African musician on the international scene - said he
was looking forward to performing in the US in "better times".

'Fervent wish'

"I believe that coming to America at this time would be perceived in
many parts of the world - rightly or wrongly - as support for this
policy," said Youssou N'dour, who is Muslim.

Rise to fame
1986 - Toured with Paul Simon
1987 - Toured with Peter Gabriel
1988 - Amnesty International world tour
Album releases: The Lion, Set, Eyes Open
1994 - Hit single Seven Seconds with Neneh Cherry
1998 - Sings World Cup official theme tune
But he also sent a message of support to whose Americans who - despite
their government's stance on Iraq - opposed any war.

"I understand that there are many in the US who do not support the idea
of their government initiating war in Iraq at this time, and I offer my
greatest respect to them."

"It is my fervent wish to return to the US in better times."

The musician said the show should have become the greatest commitment he
had ever made to performing in the US.

It would have included a long African-style dancing concert called the
Great African Ball that has become an annual event in New York's
Hammerstein ballroom.

Cult status

Youssou N'dour is renowned around the world for his individual fusion of
traditional Senegalese music with Cuban salsa, jazz and hip-hop.

His 1994 duet with Neneh Cherry, Seven Seconds, was a hit all over the
world and won a Grammy nomination. He has become the first World Music
international star.

Such is his status, the UN Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) has
appointed him as one of its goodwill ambassadors. It is not the first
time he has taken on such a role.

Along with Audrey Hepburn, he was an ambassador for UNICEF in 1993,
their Year of the Child.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/africa/2832697.stm