Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Paul Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:25:23 -0500
After further testing to try to isolate the cause of the power up problem, I have verified that the Enlight
300W P/S appears to be okay. With the Power On and Power Good pins jumpered on the ATX connector and
a chassis fan connected, the power supply fan and chassis fan came on and stayed on. When I disconnected
the chassis fan while running, the P/S shut off and did not come back on when I reconnected the chassis
fan. However, after removing and reinstalling the jumper, the fans came back on normally. The voltages at all
of the ATX connector pins appeared to be okay. It appears that the P/S is responding to a make/break of
the Power Good connection.

Am I correct in assuming that when the front panel Power switch is pressed the motherboard performs some
sort of test and then closes the connection to the Power Good pin on the ATX connector, enabling the P/S?
If that is the case, it would seem that this connection to the Power Good pin is not being made by the
motherboard when I have the P/S attached to the mobo. I hope this is not indicating a bad mobo.

I am going to conduct further tests this evening to make sure that I had the chassis fan connected to P/S
when I tried power up the first time, since the P/S does not function without some load on it (altho I would
think the mobo would provide that load, even tho the mobo fan and CPU fan just came on briefly and went
off). The onboard LED had come on and stayed on.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I really appreciate the help offered by the folks who have responded to my inquiries.

Thank you,

Paul Stoops

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>