Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Hallett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:43:02 -0400
I now have five modems the dealer won't take back saying they had a power
surge.

They all say- no dial tone.  You of course can hear the telephone plugged
into the output.  BUT the modem responds with no dial tone.

Have I blown them all or is there a secret that I don't know.

I had one working in my computer and it died after several days when I put
it into my sisters computer.

The second one(Zoom) I put in it died after half an hour but did not give
that response. Staples took it back

The third one in that machine worked after I formatted C and got it started
again.

So I had a problem with my daughter's machine because of the sircam virus.
I ultimately had to reformat C on it too.  The original modem ( conexant) I
had in it
for the last half year was not recognized in the slot that it was in so I
put in another from the dealer.  While it was installing I saw that it had
the software for this conexant modem.  The modem I put in dialed through
once then said the same- no dial tone.

So now I installed the conexant modem and it said the same- no dial tone.

Had a second brand new one and tried that .  No dial tone.  I changed the
cable to the phone.  I tested the line for resistance and there was nothing
to speak about 500,000 ohms

So at this point I gave up for the evening hoping someone could tell me what
I was doing.

Thankyou.

Rick

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: