AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"Library Access -- http://www.rit.edu/~easi" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:08:28 -0500
Dear Accessibility Advocates:

As Chair of the ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee, I am most proud to
announce and to congratulate this year's recipient of the American Library
Association ASCLA Division Century Scholarship
(http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html), Mr. Simon Healey, a
graduate student in the MLIS program at the University of Pittsburgh School of
Information Sciences.  Please see:
http://www.ala.org/ascla/awards_current.html#century

Mr. Healey will be awarded his Century Scholarship on Sunday, June 17, 2001, at
8:30 am, at the ASCLA President's Program and Award Ceremony at the American
Library Association [ALA] Annual Conference in San Francisco, Parc 55 Hotel,
Barcelona II Room. All conference attendees, especially members of ALA's
leadership, are most cordially invited to come share the excitement and to meet
and congratulate Mr. Healey, our Century Scholar for 2001!

As you know, the independently-funded Century Scholarship was awarded for the
first time just last year to Rebecca Van Scyoc, a most successful graduate
student in the LIS program at the University of Illinois.

Thank you for your continuing advocacy on behalf of the Century Scholarship
Diversity Initiative that enables ALA to fulfill one of its major missions and
a mission of ALA's new Accessibility Policy
(http://www.ala.org/ascla/access_policy.html): to bring diversity, in
particular, the universal diversity of doing things differently or
differability, into the LIS profession, so that the profession reflects the
diversity of the communities LIS professionals serve. Especially with our aging
population (yes, all of us, as well as the people we serve), the inclusion
within our profession of people who represent the diversity of differability,
people who are skilled at doing things differently/adaptive capacity is of
utmost importance.

                 ------------------------------------

Celebrate the Diversity of Doing Things Differently: Adaptive
Capacity/Assistive Technology/Accessibility at ALA Annual-San Francisco

Experience first-hand the latest and super-coolest in high technology and
accessibility for everyone at another "must-do" at ALA Annual: ALA Exhibits'
brand new Accessibility Pavilion:  South Exhibit Hall Aisle 1400.

Century Scholar Simon Healey will be assisting at the ALA Roads to
Learning/ASCLA booth in the Accessibility Pavilion.

Read about the new, exciting Accessibility Pavilion at
http://www.ala.org/pio/presskits/annualconference/accessibility_pavilion.html

Exhibit Hall/Accessibility Pavilion Hours:

Saturday, June 16, Sunday, June 17, Monday, June 18: 9 am-5 pm
Tuesday, June 19: 9 am- 1 pm

--------------------

Again, Congratulations to our newest Century Scholar, Mr. Simon
Healey!

Thank you all for your continuing advocacy on behalf of the ALA ASCLA Century
Scholarship Diversity Initiative, accessibility and equity of access in
general, and for "Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity."

You are welcome to forward this note to other relevant accessibility-related
lists. [Already posted on Jesse, ASCLA-L, and Diversity-L lists]. We now are
recruiting Century Scholars for 2002 and beyond.

---------------------

Ellen Perlow
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
The ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Diversity Initiative
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Have YOU recruited/applied to be a Century Scholarship applicant
today?
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425438
Denton, TX 76204-5438
Tel.: 940-898-2622  Fax: 940-898-2611