From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 06:35:45 -0400

I got 11 responses regarding my question of the safety of taking
Traditional Chinese Medicine tinctures in a 5% alcohol base.  I was
reminded that if the alcohol is made from one of the grains we celiacs
should avoid BUT distilled, AND if gluten has not been added to it after
the distillation, then it is OK.

Regarding the crux of the matter, I send special thanks to my chemist
friend, who summed it up very succinctly:  "The alcohol will evaporate,
but if gluten is present it will remain."

Until I speak with the company and learn the source of the "alcohol" and
whether gluten might have been added after the distillation process,  I
will not take it.

Thanks to all.

Latimer