From:
Betsy McNiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:45:39 -0500

I have a celiac friend who is an older lady, new to town and experiencing
unbelievable health problems. She was diagnosed about 8 months ago, and has
recently been told she also has diverticulitis. Although she is extremely
careful with her diet and sticks with very light, simple foods, she has been
hospitalized four times in about a month. She keeps experiencing extreme
bloating from gas along with a burning, fire-like abdominal pain that seems
to begin in the lower intestines. This pain works its way up, until finally
it reaches the chest area and feels almost like a heart attack. The pain is
very intense, so that she doesn't want to be touched at all. In the emergency
room, doctors have given her shots of Demerol to kill the pain, but the
relief is only temporary.

Her diet certainly looks totally GF to me. She also cannot take
prescription drugs and has severe, severe reactions to almost all of
them. Her doctors, and she has seen many, have pretty much written her
off, perhaps believing it's in her head. NO WAY!!!! FYI, this is a woman
who has been in perfect health until the celiac rolled around -- never
had surgery, illnesses,etc.

She had scans and xrays done a few days ago, but the doctor isn't returning
her calls to get the results. She is beginning to wonder if this is not
celiac related, and that perhaps she has Crohn's or ulcerative colitis or
something else altogether. She really doesn't know where to turn if these
tests are fruitless. If anyone has any suggestions for her, I know she would
be so grateful. Thanks for your help, Betsy in FL