From:
Donna Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 07:08:11 EDT

thank you all, again, for the responses....

-there were many suggestions referring to 'The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes
Bread' as the "bible" for this topic as far as bread goes...some quotes from

- several sent their formulas for mixes -listed here below
*A very general guideline is to use 2 cups rice flour, 1 cup potato
starch flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1/2 cup bean
flour, and xanthan gum.  I sift together large batches, put them in self-
seal plastic bags, and freeze them.  When I am ready to bake, I just
measure out what I need and let sit out at room temperature for 20 minutes.

* brown rice flour mixed with a little quinoa was also suggested (i thought
quinoa was a questionable grain )

*mix equal parts of Rice,Soy and Cornstarch (or substitute potato flour)
and if you need self raising add 1 teaspoon of baking powder per cup of
mixed flour.

*To make it easier to mix a batch of flour I use a 2 gallon ziplock bag
(really hard to find and sometimes is hard to close after I have used it
for a few months but freezer bags are sturdy enough for repeat use and
it holds enough to let the flour mix well without getting all over the
kitchen.). Since rice flour, tapioca flour and cornstarch all come in 1
pound packages I use this as the basis of proportions. I talked to Carol
Fenster and Bette Hagman last year and they both agreed that the flour
mixes could be done in weight vs cups--ie for the light bean flour mix I
take 1 pound bean flour, 1 pound cornstarch and 1 pound tapioca flour. I
only have to weigh the bean flour and am able to just dump in the 1
pound packages of cornstarch and tapioca flour. It makes mixing easier
and less messy.

flour storage tip: **Just remember that the bean flours should be stored
in the freezer (or possibly the frig if not enough freezer space, but
the freezer is best).  I store my rice and tapioca flours plus
cornstarch in containers on the shelf.

-as for making your own flour- apparently there are grinders/mills one may
purhase to do this( a Corona hand mill was suggested)  but it was also stated
that it was as simple as using a food processor, decent blender or a vita-mix
machine...

-as for purchasing flour for reasonable prices it was agreed by most that
asian markets were best for rice,tapioca,soy flour, potato starch, and indian
markets the cheapest for bean flours..also if you live in texas near bryan
college station-it was sited that the prices in the health food stores there
were reasonable and Albertsons grocery stores carried some products at
reasonable prices too (wish we had one of those around here!!)

-no one was able to suggest an inexpensive source for almond flour-but it
would seem that purchasing whole almonds and making your own would be the
most economical

thank you all once again
donna
clifton park ny