From:
Greenwald Carol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 13:12:50 EDT

Thanks to all who responded to my post about my wfie, Carol's, shimmering
vision and whether it might be related to her celiac sprue.

I had pointed out that she had an MRI which showed no abnormalities. Here's a
summary of your responses:

Several suggested testing for diabetes and hypoglycemia; one of these
people said that hypoglycemia did not show up easily and many MD's did
not know how to test for it; Many suggested that it was a prelude to a
migraine headache; one person suggested putting hands in very hot water
to prevent the subsequent headache (that's not Carol's problem -- she
does not get a headache and the shimmering is more or less constant.)

Many suggested a visit to her opthalmologist, but I should have pointed
out that that's where we started -- he said it was brain-related, not
eye-related; some talked about "floaters", but she's had them -- these
are not floaters; One suggested a possible magnesium deficiency; another
a vitamin A (or other vitamin) deficiency; several people referred to
them as "occular migraines" and said they were annoying but harmless;
one also suggested that it may be caused by hormonal replacement
therapy; another suggestion -- check for cataracts; One person
recommended the following site as generally knowledgeable:
http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtagiliac&nav=messages; other
suggestions -- a possible detached retina or excessive eye
pressure(She's been checked for both.); Here's a verbatim suggestion for
curing the problem: "My doctor said the nerves shut down the vessels so
there is insufficient blood to the eye.  This may sound crazy but I
found if I eat ice cream really fast (like trying to give myself an ice
cream headache)  the cold sometimes goes into my head and numbs the
nerves and lets the vessels open up. I suppose you could get the same
effect holding ice in your mouth but it wouldn't taste near as good."
One person siad that her eye doctor attributed the problem to
"excessively acute vision" related to the rods and cones of the eyes and
said that most people had the effect but were unaware of it.

Anyhow, many thanks to all who wrote -- Carol and I both really appreciate
the time, effort and concern you showed.

Hank