From:
Karri Ann Allrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:38:20 -0500

Hello List Mates! ;-)

You all may find this interesting...

Last night a simple dinner of rice, shrimp and green
beans (in (my own mix curry) spices/coconut
milk) made me stuffy/congested for two hours...so
thought I'd look into it...Here's what I've
found...recognize any reactions/symptoms?

Histamine in Foods

Histamine is a natural substance produced by the body
and is also present in many foods. It is released by
the body during times of stress and allergy.

In an allergic response, an allergen stimulates the
release of antibodies, which attach themselves to mast
cells. When histamine is released from the mast cells
it may cause one or more of the following symptoms:

Eyes to itch, burn, or become watery
Nose to itch, sneeze, and produce more mucus
Skin to itch, develop rashes or hives
Sinuses to become congested and cause headaches
Lungs to wheeze or have spasms
Stomach to experience cramps and diarrhea

This chemical (vasoactive amine) is able to create such
havoc with the many body functions because it is
contained in almost all body tissues. The main body
tissues include the lungs, skin, intestinal mucosa,
mast cells, and basophils. The release of histamine can
be induced by almost any allergen. Examples include
inhalant allergens, drugs, chemicals, insect venoms,
and even some foods.

Histamine in Foods
There are many foods that contain histamine or cause
the body to release histamine when ingested. Histamine
in food may be responsible for some cases of food
intolerance.

Histamine rich foods include:

Anchovies
Avocados