From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:43:30 -0700

Dear Listmates,

I have been (gluten-free) GF for three and a half years.  For a few months
now, I've been having a strange experience.  Every once in a while I feel
shaky, weak, and as if my heart is pounding really quickly.  When I feel my
pulse, however, it isn't especially quick, as far as I can tell.  This trembly
feeling is sort of like the feeling you get near your sternum when someone
plays an electric bass guitar near by.  It isn't predictable and has been
becoming very frequent in the past couple of days.

I'd like your opinions about what I should do and what it could be.  I thought
up only one plausible possibility.  About six months ago, a blood test came
back showing semi-high thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH levels) - 7 point
something - meaning that my thyroid was underactive.  A couple months later,
though, the same test showed that my TSH number had decreased and was within
normal limits.  As thyroid dysfunction runs in my family and since I already
have one autoimmune disorder, I thought perhaps my thyroid is on its way out
and these symptoms come and go as its function rises and falls.

I know that many Celiacs also have autoimmune thyroid disorders.  Do any of
you have experiences with this symptom or advice for me?  I'll probably head
to the doctor this week, but doctors tend to treat women with these sort of
vague complaints as hypochondriacs!

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me.

-Christie in Chandler, AZ