Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 08:10:26 -0400
From:
Maggie Jewett <[log in to unmask]>

Hi:

I am having a busy summer so this is very late...sorry!

Below are responses to my questions about reactions to tomato paste and
puree.  A few mentioned Lea & Perrins BBQ sauce.  I live in Northern
Virginia and I can't find it--anyone know who has it?

*********************

Hunts tomato paste seems to have a very heavy thickener in it which is not
listed on the label.  The sauce and the puree have paste added probably for
the thickener.  Does anyone know what the thickener in the paste is.  I
wonder how many companys add items without listing them on the label?

*********************

Mostly with me if I'm eating canned tomatoes or tomato products, I get
bad heart burn. In the beginning I thought this was related to  a gluten
reaction, since that's one of the first things I noticed when I
developed celiac. Later learned a lot of celiacs have this, but it's not
necessarily gluten. But the GF brands that I know are S&W, Contadina,
DelMonte, Muir Glenn. But like you, I still react to them, but not to
fresh tomatoes, raw or cooked.

But now, if I really want to eat something with that in it, I take two
Zantac's about half an hour before eating. After eating will work too,  but
before works a little better. But I still never eat salsa that doesn't look
like it's in a clear liquid, if you can see it's a paste or puree, I
usually get a gluten reaction.

**************************

I react to the citric acid in the foods. Could this be your problem too?

******************************

I'm not sure about tomato paste puree, but Lea &
Perrins BBQ sauce as well as their worchestershire and
steak sauce are g/f.

*****************************

I have no problems with Lea and Perrins bbq sauce

****************************

I have a problem with the corn syrup that is in several tomato pastes,
sauces, salsas.  Five Brothers and Classico are the only two spaghetti
sauces that I can find that don't contain corn syrup.

**********************

Tomato paste often has Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein in it. Usually labeled
flavorings or natural flavors. The HVP could be from gluten. Gluten is a
cheap protein. Then the law says they do not have to list the ingredients
of ingredients. So if you see tomato paste listed as an ingredient, then it
could have undeclared HVP, which could be from gluten. So I avoid all
products which list tomato paste as an ingredient. And I don't trust the
food manufacturers, so I never call them. If I want spaghetti sauce, I buy
Five Brothers. They haven't used hydrolyzed protein since 1991. And if I
buy tomato paste, I make sure that the only ingredient is tomatoes.

***********************

My husband, the celiac in our family, eats all of the Muir Glen products
with no problem.  He also eats Contadina tomato sauce and paste.  He is
pretty sensitive, so I don't think that it is gluten in the Muir Glen
products, but perhaps another allergy or sensitivity that you have.

***********************

The best barbecue sauce is Saz's from Milwaukee WI. The gluten free trading
co in Milwaukee sells it.

Some pastes and purees are thickened with wheat, but not all;  if a paste or
puree is listed as an ingredient it may or may not be gluten-free.

A good-tasting gluten-free barbecue sauce is Sweet Baby Ray's.

I eat Lea & Perrins barbeque sauce and Contadina tomato paste with no
problems.  I have called both companies to confirm gluten free.  Hope
this helps you.