Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 30 May 2001 21:12:37 -0400
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

Maggie Jewett wrote:

>I noticed an item about tomato paste and puree not being gluten free.
>I have reactions to products (salsas, barbecue sauces) that have these
>ingredients in them, even though the company states that a product is
>gluten free.

Tomato paste often has Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein in it. Usually labeled
flavorings or natural flavors. The HVP could be from gluten. Gluten is a
cheap protein. Then the law says they do not have to list the ingredients
of ingredients. So if you see tomato paste listed as an ingredient, then it
could have undeclared HVP, which could be from gluten. So I avoid all
products which list tomato paste as an ingredient. And I don't trust the
food manufacturers, so I never call them. If I want spaghetti sauce, I buy
Five Brothers. They haven't used hydrolyzed protein since 1991. And if I
buy tomato paste, I make sure that the only ingredient is tomatoes.

I am not aware of tomato puree being a problem, but then I've never bought
it, so I don't know if the logic above applies to it.

Don.