From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:03:28 -0400

Hello, All.

I received ~9 responses to my query of Traditional Chinese Medicine
(TCM).  Most people gave me positive feedback regarding TCM from
personal experience.  Two people spoke of TCM's benefits for autoimmune
disorders.  One person spoke of the cumulative effect of treating with
TCM over time.  One person told a story about how the quality of
practitioners can vary widely; he advised against using people who hook
the needles up to a mild electric current for stimulation.  Three people
cautioned me about being careful of the herbal remedies, as they are
powerful, can exacerbate conditions where there are food intolerances,
and may contain gluten (possibly barley).  One person stated that TCM
"greatly" helped for non-CD related problems.  One person told a story
of acupuncture stopping diarrhea and returning the system to normal
baseline by the next day after a gluten accident.  There was another
story of someone who believes herself to be "cured" of celiac after
treating with TCM.

Then I got a detailed and very interesting response from someone who has
obviously taken this route very seriously.  Because her note was so
filled with interesting thoughts and information, I thought it would be
helpful to simply copy it for others to read, as follows:

"I have worked with a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practitioner
for more than 5 years. Although I am not a positive celiac, I do have
"food alergies".

I did not go the TCM route because of my weak digestion. I hoped it
would be my answer through menapause, I really did not want to need, or
use, HRTs.  I started with shiatzu massage and we went from that into
acupuncture and herbal tinctures and next into raw herbal formulas that
I cook on a daily basis.

"I started my work toward balance through TCM at 42. I am now almost 49
and continue to highly value my time, effort and results with my TCM
practitioner.I now list her as my doctor. I go to her for everything
except pap smears and mamagrams. She treats my badly sprained ankle, hot
flashes, urinary tract infections, migraines, blood shot eyes, yeast
infections, sore feet, colds and flu, depression (after a divorce) and
grief from the loss of my mother,  etc etc etc. even strep throat if we
catch it early enough.  I am rarely sick these days and when I feel
something trying to come in, I can adjust my diet and herbs so it will
not go as deep in me as it would before.

I must say in TCM the work is not just hers. It involves me ALOT....through
diet, lifestyle adjustments and awareness.

"There is much to be said about TCM. I would like to make a few points
and will try to be brief.  I  trust you will request more info from me
if you so desire.

"TCM is a totally different way of looking at the body...AND it includes
the mind and spirit, much unlike western medicine. Not all  TCM
practitioners will address the mind and spirit aspect. I believe that is
a shortcoming. For true TCM does include all three. When I began my
journey with TCM my practitioner recommended a few books that I would
also like to encourage you to explore.

In the House of the Moon--Reclaiming the Feminine Spirit of Healing by
Jason Elias and Katherine Ketcham Between Heaven and Earth-A guide to
Chinese Medicine by Harriet Beinfield and Efrem Korngold Healing with
Whole Foods by Paul Pitchford

"The last book listed is about food  in relation to TCM. It has been a
guide of mine for years.

"Not all TCM practitioners are equal!!!! Certainly look for one that has
a raw herb option or at least tinctures, to compliment the acupuncture.
I would hope for you to find one that respects all parts of your
healing: body, mind and spirit. In TCM they are intricatly connected. My
small community of 25,000 has two. The Asian practitioner does not
include the mind and spirit and the American practitioner does...go figure!

"Very few insurances cover acupuncture, none cover herbs. Practitioners
in my community, and the ones I have visited in Chicagland,  charge $75-
$100 for the initial visit. Follow up visits run about $60. One ounce
bottles of herbal tincture cost about $18-25. They can last a month. Raw
herbs vary greatly depending on the ingredients, from $2-$12 a day.

"Your TCM practitioner will need to be board certified to apply for
insurance coverage.I highly recommend you find a true Traditional Chinese
Practitioner to work with if you really want to HEAL your imbalance.  I
know that many doctors now give acupuncture, but that is generally all it
is.  TCM practitioners go to school for at least three years to begin
learning the whole of TCM.  Doctors and dentists can go to a weekend
seminar and then give acupuncture!

"I'm sorry this wasn't very brief. I hope it helped you. By the way, I
no longer have any allergy symptoms of any kind.  It wasn't easy and
still isn't when I can't always have the foods I am wanting......the
choice is always mine...as are the consequences."

I hope you found this summary helpful.  In the meantime, I have found a
native English speaker, who is a NCCAOM Diplomate in both acupuncture
and Chinese herbology.  He received clinical training at the
International Institute of Chinese Medicine in Santa Fe, New Mexico and
Cheng du University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Cheng du, China.  I
will be seeing him for an evaluation on Monday, and I am hopeful that he
is the right person to work with.  I will keep the list posted on my
progress.  Thanks again to all who responded.

Latimer