From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:30:48 -0500

Dear Group,

I have had some various tests because after 3 years of being GF and on a
strict regimen, I have seemed to develop additional symptoms.  After
reading this list for years, and having a creative imagination, I am
ready to find out more about some of the tests I have read about.

I have read about the ELISA/ACT test for food sensitivities which can be
detected in the blood.  However, I am not certain that reactions in the
blood are always also reactions in the gut.  I will probably do the
milk, egg,yeast panel from Enterolab next.

The leaky gut situation is of interest to me, and so is the idea of a
yeast imbalance.  I recently had a digestive stool analysis.  The
results showed, among other things, that I have an amoeba named
Dientamoeba fragilis trophozoites.  I did a little research and found
via the internet that it is in about 2% of the population in our
country, and 25-60% of people in third world countries.  They symptoms
are cramping and diarrhea, which I do not suffer from.  Cause can be
from drinking "the water" to unsanitary handwashing conditions.  I have
traveled years ago in Mexico and Peru.  I did contract Shigella in
Mexico in the 80's, but was in the hospital for a week and supposedly
cured of it.  All before my celiac diagnosis.

The doctor who had me take the stool analysis wants me to take a week
dosage of Flagyl.  I have attempted to find out if it is GF, but the 800
number I have is disconnected, and I havent had any luck with help from
my pharmacist.  A well known celiac researcher has suggested I not take
the Flagyl because I am not bothered by symptoms, there is potential
damage to the liver, (and I still don't know if it is GF)

If you have read this far, and have had experiences with any of these
circumstances, I would appreciate your input in several areas.

1.  If you have been diagnosed with this amoeba, what did you do, and
was it successful?

2.  If you have been tested for Candida albicans(Great Smokies Labs),
what were the results?  I have never heard of anyone being tested and
told No Growth or Normal Flora, which are 2 of the choices.  If  you
have been, please tell me more about your situation.

3.  If you have taken this test, what was the dysbiosis risk index
indicated, and what does in mean in your situation?

I have had some conflicting information regarding these tests, and am
curious to know what other celiacs have experienced.  If there is
interest, I will summarize.

Thank you for your time.

Anne in San Antonio