From:
????n ??? <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:02:48 -0500

I will be traveling with Northwest Airlines in September;  Sunday
afternoon I called them to request seat assignments and gluten-free
meal.  The rep told me that they had discontinued the gluten-free meals,
so after I expressed my dismay and after we discussed my remaining
options, I requested a fruit plate.  All seemed more or less okay as we
hung up.

Then last night, the very next day, an agent from Northwest called (at
least they did that much!) to tell me that they would no longer have the
fruit plate.  After September first, she said, the only options will be
the following:  Vegetarian, Hindu, Muslim, and Kosher.  After I
expressed much greater dismay, in that the remaining choices seem to be
mainly religious and take no account of very real health needs of many
passengers, I settled on vegetarian.  THen she told me that there are
actually three options within vegetarian--dairy, non-dairy, and one
other whose name I didn't get (she seemed to think it would be spicy)!
And she said that "other airlines" are also cutting back on special
menus--and suggested I carry my own food.  (I didn't say that I would be
doing that in any event or ask her if they would take a dollar or two
off my ticket price since  I wouldn't be eating their food!)

What a bummer--and a real step backward.  Cheers--Mary Jean

Mary Jean DeMarr
Terre Haute,Indiana