From:
Orva McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 13:05:47 -0400

Hi:  Tony asked me to send any responses I rec'd about these places as a
lot of CDer's may be travelling to these parts.  I am very grateful for
the replies and will just copy what I rec'd.

OK, I live in Charleston and have recently visited Hilton Head.   I have
only been GF for about 6 months, but I am going to attempt to give you
answers!

There is a great grocery store on Folly Road (James Island, part of
Charleston) called Earth Fare.  They have much more than the basics in
GF foods.  They carry many frozen GF foods that are microwave ready
(dinners, waffles, etc.), assorted flours, crackers, salad dressings,
breads, etc.  The Harris Teeter Supermarket just east of Earth Fare on
Folly Road does carry a good supply of GF cereals and Woodchuck ciders.

For dinner, we successfully eat at Charleston Crab Shack, Folly Beach
Crab Shack and West Asley Crab Shack (all local freshly steamed seafood
in the shells) and the local Outbacks (Mount Pleasant, West Ashley and
North Charleston.)  I must add that I have gotten sprued at the West
Ashley location (Sam Rittenburg Boulevard) on occasion and have never
had a problem at the North Charleston (Rivers Avenue) location.  As an
added bonus, the North Charleston location does serve Woodchuck Amber!
I haven't tried many of the restaurants in downtown Charleston since
going GF, but most of them specialize in "fancy" foods with  sauces and
I would avoid them.  The Boathouse, located on East Bay Street and also
at  Breach Inlet between Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island, is
supposed to be wonderful and does offer a raw bar at the East Bay Street
location.  That should be safe.

On Hilton Head, we had good luck at Steamers.  It is featured in most of
the restaurant guides and is located in a popular shopping area near the
middle of the island.  They also have live entertainment.  I had the
steamed seafood platter and had no problems.  Avoid the Crazy Crab.  I
tried to order a plain salad three times and kept getting an
unacceptable immitation!  I ordered the steamed seafood platter and it
came breaded and broiled (breading not mentioned on the menu), and after
sending it back and having it redone without breading, I still got sprued.

I go to Earthfare in the S. Windermere Shopping Ctr.  I think I would
just call them for directions when you get here.  The # in the phone
book is 769-4800 or 769-0794.  I live in the north area and go to Health
Nuts Organic Foods and Sports Nutrition especially since my wife is on a
low carb diet. (I'm the celiac) And it is located at 2110 Green Ridge
Plaza Corner of Rivers and Greenridge.  Ph # 764-4956.  There are others
listed in the phone book.

As far as restaurants I eat at steakhouses a lot such as the Outback or
Ryan's Steakhouse.  I play it safe and usually have steak and baked
potato.

Ryan's has a great hotbar and is much more economical and I go to
Wendy's a lot and have chili, fries and a frosty if you are in a hurry.
I will also send you our newspapers web site which has a lot of tourists
information.

If you want more info. feel free to ask as I am retired.

Charles in Charleston, SC