From:
Stacey Bonderer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:35:47 -0800

Thank you-I received so many positive replies in regards to Sushi being GF.

Here is a quick blurb, I will summarize all of the replies when I have more
time.  I am at work and so I need to watch the amount of time  I spend on
this :).

1) We must make sure that rice vinegar is used.

2) Tamari is safe- bring your own.

3) Do not eat the rolls with imitation crab meat- it has wheat.

4) Bring your own soy sauce.

5) Raw fish is a NO NO, it may have parasites that are very dangerous to
Celiac's.

6)Vegetarian sushi is typically safe.

7) stay away from the deep-fried roll- made from flour.

8) No eel- it is typically marinated in soy sauce.

9) Ginger is fine for most people, in small quantities.

10) rolls we can have: California rolls( with King Crab),  cucumber rolls,
shrimp, etc

11) use Braggs liquid amino acids instead of soy sauce.  You can buy it in
the spray bottle

I hope to see you all here for the Celiac Run in May.  I haven't yet met
anyone else whom has celiacs. It should be comforting :)

****Here is a great response that I received from Mary:****

I take my own soy sauce, or just use lemon.

I tell the chef I must absolutely avoid soy sauce and miso (barley)
and imitation crab (California roll. The sauce used for eel, for
instance is no good for us. Likewise, ponzu sauce.

The shaky English of many sushi chefs means that often the wisest
course is just to  order sashimi and/or sushi by the piece and say
please please please be sure that no real soy sauce is anywhere near:
not on the knife, not on the bamboo roller and etc.  Smiling and
pointing helps. I admit, however, that I have encountered what seems
to be unavoidable contamination at sushi counters that I don't eat it
nearly as often now as once I did. If you frequent the same sushi bar
often enough, of course you can work things through with the chef and
I am sure, create a safe situation. The Japanese are so very
conscious of cleanliness and freshness that it's less of a problem
than it would be in many other places