From:
Tim Jesson - Exchange <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:41:47 -0500

I am hoping to hear some sort of positive feedback about individuals that
have excelled athletically despite having CD. I have often heard of
triatheletes that do what they do despite suffering from asthma, diabetes,
etc... Certainly there are lots of people that one might consider
asymptomatic, or where the disease has never progressed to a clinically
identifiable level...

I am wondering if anyone knows a TRUE Celiac (ie. had symptoms strong enough
to convince them to go and get a positive biopsy, and to live on a GF diet)
that is excelling athletically.

I never went too far with sports when I was a child because my family kept
moving around, but in my 20s realized that I had some natural athletic
tendencies that I started to pursue.

For various reasons, many relating to my health, I have never really gotten
my act together consistently enough, to make a real go of it (now age 36).
Because of a tendency to bruise, I never went beyond an intra-mural level in
contact sports. I prefer independant performance sports (running, swimming,
weight-lifting). I have just gotten the all clear from my doctor to start
pushing myself again, so I am returning to swimming.  I would like to aim
for the stars, and don't want to use this disease as an excuse.

I hope someone can give me some good news.

Tim