Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 13:10:19 -0400
From:
Rosemary Weiss <[log in to unmask]>

Here's part of my initial email about this book and you may or may not
want to rush out and buy it based on the feedback below: "This seems to
have many implications for celiac disease and its manifestations,
particularly related to the brain, including the recent discussions on
schizophrenia:

In his May 2001 newsletter, Dr. Andrew Weil discusses a book called: The
Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of
the Stomach and Intestine" (c1999) by Dr. Michael Gershon (chairman of
the Dept. of Anatomy & Cell Biology at Columbia Univ. Coll. of
Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Cts. in NYC)."

Just wanted to let you know that I did buy this book about 1.5 years ago.
Your summary of info. on the book is about all that I was able to find
interesting (altho I had hoped to find more).  It is a  "dry" book - with a
couple of interesting things about the digestive system that aren't
particularly enlightening for celiacs (my opinion).  Maybe you can find it
in your library?!

But all in all this particular research about gut neurotransmitters is
very intriguing indeed.

I have been put on Remeron for IBS - it inhibits serotonin - 95% of
which is produced in the gut.  My body is in constant 'fight or flight'
mode - hence the bowel problems.  I am living proof of this, its
ramifications and treatments....

Isn't it fascinating?  I have Michael Gershon's book "The Second Brain,}
but I can only read it in tiny increments, then my "first" brain gets
a bit full, and I have to stop. :)

It is very interesting, though.  What I find most interesting is that
Dr.  Kenneth Fine is going through what Dr. Gershon went through in
trying to prove his theory to the medical community.   It's a tough
road, but when you knows the truth, you knows the truth, eh?

I would highly recommend you getting Michael Gershon's book.  Then maybe
you can summarize it for me...  :)  (only kidding).

I have the book.  It's very interesting, but it gets technical.  Not a
summer beach read.

The very idea that the gastro tract functioned as a primitive brain is
revolutionary.  It's how animals adapted to their environmental niche.
If the environment provided  "good food" to the belly, the organism
thrived. (that's not really in the book, but it's implied.)

But what is in the book is that the gut develops at about the same time as
the brain... so the implication is, if there is something that inhibits the
development of the gut, it could also affect the brain.  (This might have
repercussions in early onset autism)

If you buy the book, let me know your opinion!  Maybe we can have an on-
line discussion!

Thanks for reminding me that I never got Dr. Gershon's book.  I heard an
interview with Dr. Gershon on the Diane Rheme (NPR) show in October of
'98 and you're right - it was fascinating.

He discussed using prozac (seratonin re-uptake inhibitor) for IBD and
took a question from a celiac patient.  He didn't recommend prozac for
cd, of course, but it turns out his father had cd.