EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Gunderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:13:43 -0500
WebCT home page [1] does not currently meet section 508 regulations.  There
are many images that do not have ALT text.

Jon

[1] http://www.webct.com

At 01:24 PM 7/23/2001 -0400, David Poehlman wrote:
>     For Immediate Release
>WEBCT DELIVERS ACCESSIBILITY WITH NEW  RELEASE OF LEADING E-LEARNING
>SYSTEM
>-- New Release Provides Access for  Those with Disabilities and
>Complies
>with Section 508 of Rehabilitation Act --
>Vancouver, BC - June 25, 2001 - WebCT, the world's leading provider of
>integrated e-learning systems for higher education, announced today a
>new
>version of its e-learning software, WebCT 3.6, in both Standard and
>Campus
>editions. WebCT 3.6 includes a number of features and revised
>interfaces
>that  increase the openness and accessibility of the software including
>full  compliance with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and
>recent  amendments. Company executives made the announcement at the
>Third
>Annual WebCT  User Conference, which opened here today. More than one
>thousand administrators,  IT professionals and faculty members from all
>over the world have gathered for  the Conference.
>WebCT is committed to making certain that online courses are  open and
>accessible to people with disabilities. As a result, the Company has
>released WebCT 3.6, which complies with Section 508 of the United
>States
>Rehabilitation Act of 1973, enabling people with disabilities and using
>
>assistive technologies, such as screen readers, to fully use the
>software.
>WebCT  has worked with the Adaptive Technology (ATRC) at the University
>of
>Toronto on  Section 508 compliance requirements. WebCT 3.6 enables
>faculty
>or course  designers with disabilities to use assistive technologies
>with
>WebCT in their  course creation and delivery. In addition, WebCT 3.6
>makes
>it easier for faculty  and course designers to create courses that are
>compliant with Section 508.
>Section 508 is a part of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 which requires
>that
>  electronic and information technology developed, procured, maintained,
>or
>used  by the Federal government be accessible to people with
>disabilities.
>WebCT 3.6  compliance with Section 508 allows any Federal government
>organization to use  the software for their e-learning programs.
>"WebCT's commitment to  accessibility is important because it is
>critical
>that digital information be  easily transformed from one format into
>another, depending on the needs of the  user," said Laurie Harrison,
>education coordinator for ATRC. "For example,  learning resources in
>accessible formats may be displayed on any size of monitor  or in any
>size
> [...]

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
MC-574
College of Applied Life Studies
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL  61820

Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund