BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Preservationist Protection Program <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 07:22:26 -0400
This whole thread reminds me of the conflict that occurred between the
engineers (the kind that DON'T know how to drive a train) and the historical
society, over the Hune bridge north of Marietta. During our truss survey we
were informed that the cable which went from the top of one truss to the
bank was placed there when the trusses began to "list" noticably when they
were originally built. They are the tallest solid wood trusses in the state
and didn't quite work correctly.

The conflict came when the federal enhancement funds enabled the county to
restore the bridge to use. The engineers saw it as a chance to get it right.
After all it had been standing there over 150 years spotlighting the
original error. The historical society saw the cable as significant historic
fabric, that had to remain.

Everthing turned out pretty well. The bridge is repaired (with solid wood
members!) and the cable remains. The engineers are concvinced the cable
serves no purpose. The members of the historical society are convinced it
serves at least one purpose, maybe two.

Rudy