Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 23:17:15 -0700
On 21 Aug 2001, at 17:36, Robert Zeoli wrote:

> "If you will be using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to enable other
> computers on your home network to share an Internet connection, your ICS
> host computer will require two network adapters, and therefore, two
> available slots or ports. "
> I only have one NIC in the host ( the cat 5 cable is connected to it).
> Why do I need another one?  What do I connect to the other NIC?

  The "Dial-Up Networking Adpater" (a software component) *is* the
second NIC on the machine with the modem.

> The clerk at my local pc store says I can not share an Internet connection
> on a network with out getting a "Router".   I will get one if it is needed
> but I don't understand why I didn't need one before.

  The machine with two NICs/One NIC+modem and running ICS will be
acting as the router.  You need one -- but this PC is it.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml