NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 13:36:26 -0400
This is from Tofutti's FAQ:

I know all Tofutti products are kosher parve, which means that they
contain no dairy. However, I was told that some of your products are
run on equipment that also runs dairy products. If this is so, how are
your products dairy free?

Although we would wish it otherwise, the overall demand for totally
dairy free products is not large enough to justify setting up complete
production lines for dairy free products only. Most plants we use for
manufacturing mainly produce dairy items. That is why we employ a
kosher supervisor service, the Kof-K, to supervise the manufacturing of
our products to ensure that they are completely dairy free every time.
The methodology and techniques they use to clean the equipment and
supervise the production is the process called kosherization. If you
feel that the preceding information raises your concerns about the
safety of our products regarding dairy contamination, please do not use
our products. Safety of our consumers is always our number one
priority. For further information about kosher, please refer to our
discussion on the subject.

So it would appear that Kof-K supervision also allows products to be
labelled parve after processing on thoroughly cleaned ("kosherized")
equipment.

I have seen the DE (dairy equipment) indicator on an OK (K in a circle)
hechsher, but I don't know if they always require that indicator, or only
if the equipment is not as thoroughly cleaned between runs.  I will
try to contact them directly to find out.

--Robyn