AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hedi Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:03:35 -0500
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

Please circulate widely!!!!

Have you been thinking lately that it is time for you to reach back and
offer a hand up to the next generation? I have a great volunteer
opportunity for you!  Read on! Hedi

Nehemiah M.E.N.
Empowering Our Future Through Partnership
DREAMS Program
Contact Arthur Richardson at 257-2453 for more information.

What: DREAMS, an academic and social skills development program for
boys ages  8-13.
When: Meets after school every Tuesday and Thursday from 3-6 p.m.
Where: Wisconsin Youth Company 1201 McKenna Blvd (west side)
Snacks are served at all sessions and transportation is provided for
youth who need it.

HOW!
Programming focuses on the three key areas we have assessed as crucial
to becoming self-sufficient, successful men:
* Academic/educational
* Social
* Economic/Entrepreneurial

The schedule includes social and team-building activities, and special
guest speakers, videos and presentations. Presenters are typically
community leaders, businessmen and professionals who can be role models.
When possible presenters remain after the presentation to answer
questions and spend time with the youth. Computer lab time and homework
help/tutoring and other academic activities follow the special
presentation.

The economic/entrepreneurial component is new to DREAMS and unique to
the afterschool program.

DREAMS also provides tutoring and instruction in reading, math,
science, computer training, programming and Web Design. Along with
academic classes, we emphasize social skills and prevention, including
topics such as self-respect and decision making.

Parents are encouraged to be involved in planning activities, often
serving as chaperones.

DREAMS continues throughout the summer, focusing more on educational
and enrichment field trips.

******
Do all that you can do to improve yourself
Realize the potential within yourself
Expect great things from yourself and your neighbors
Assist those who are in need
Motivate yourself and others
Strengthen your mind, body and soul