AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Adelaide Fiske <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:40:30 -0500
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

The devil is in the details. A breakdown of this pumped up generosity would be helpful to enable the identification of the real beneficiaries as the information here presented is woefully incomplete.

Adelaide

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/29/03 02:52PM >>>

I wish someone would "not care" about me this much.

Overview of U.S. Economic Assistance to Africa:

Total Africa Bureau Budget Request for FY 2004 $1,041,050,000

Encouraging Broad-Based Economic Growth, Trade, and Agriculture
Economic Growth and Trade: $89,204,000
Agriculture: $134,100,000

Protecting the Environment: $82,200,000

Building Human Capacity through Education and Training: $125,619,000

Combating HIV/AIDS and Protecting Human Health: $542,105,000

Strengthening Democracy and Preventing Conflict: $67,822,000

Humanitarian Response

Humanitarian crises, whether man-made or natural disasters, continue to
plague Africa and show no signs of abating. These emergencies threaten
lives, economic growth, democratic progress and regional stability. USAID
supports efforts to build African capacity to better cope with the effects
of these humanitarian crises. In East and Southern Africa, millions of
people continue to be vulnerable to food shortages brought on by severe
drought and other factors. The U.S. Government has been the largest donor
to the World Food Program's operations to deliver food aid to these famine
affected areas.