AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 08:36:05 -0600
An Egyptian woman has given birth to a boy weighing seven kilograms (15.2
pounds) - twice the average weight of a newborn baby boy.

He was delivered two weeks early by Caesarean section after doctors became
alarmed at his size.

The mother and the baby are in good health, and the boy's parents have
decided to name him Kareem, the Arabic word for generous.

The child was delivered by Dr Mohammed Saeed, who described the case as very
unusual.

"At 38 weeks I found that the baby weighed six kilograms so I decided to
terminate the pregnancy. But I was surprised to see he actually weighed
seven kilograms. This is very rare," Dr Saeed said.

'God's will'

The mother, Abeer Abdel-Razeq, denied taking hormones during her pregnancy.

She could only explain the size of her baby as being God's will to
compensate her for the loss of her first son, who died when he was just one
day old.

"I'm not sure what the reason for this is, but it was very obvious from the
size, my abdomen was really huge," Mrs Abdel-Razeq said.

There is a history of diabetes in Mrs Abdel-Razeq's family, which, Dr Saeed
says, can sometimes lead to large babies.