Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Brendhan Horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 06:59:18 -0400
> I just flashed the BIOS on my dad's PC (an ABIT SE-6) Mobo. The flash
progressed normally and all appeared normal. When the process finished, I
attempted >to reboot, but got no post. I get no video, beeps, or anything
that gives me a clue to the problem. I downloaded the correct Bios from the
Abit web-site. I have >never had any similar problems when flashing, and
have flashed several Mobos previously. I suspect something caused the
integrated video to go bad. I will try to >find a PCI or AGP video card in
my junk pile, install it and see if it will boot then. My question is has
any body had a similar problem, and if so were you able to >resolve it short
of a new Mobo?

Having flashed a bios into nothingness not once but twice, I am some what
familiar with your plight.  The bios is usually contained in a chip on a MB
that is removable. You have two options here.
1.  You can call the MB manufacturer and have them mail you a bios chip.I t
will coast you anywhere from $30-$60. You then replace the bad chip with the
good one. And all should be right with universe.

2. You do what is known as a hot flash change. Yes I have actually done this
and succeeded. You find someone who has the exact same MB as you. You
politely ask if you can borrow their bios chip. You then proceed to install
their chip. Boot the computer to an A: and then remove their Bios chip, with
the computer on at the A:. I did this by placing the chip in just enough to
make contact and had a piece of dental floss run under it. At the A: I
pulled on the dental floss removing the chip. I then installed the bad chip
and proceed to flash it to the proper level. And then did a restart. It
worked.

Please note proper static control and grounding issues in dealing with a
Bios  chip are a must. Also if flashing them to a new level caused problems
do not flash to the upgrade but the level you had before the upgrade.

I have never had a MB with integrated sound or video before so I don't know
what kinda of complications this may cause but usually a flashed Bios will
result to basic defaults. If you had specific settings there before they may
not be there now.

Brendhan Horne

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml