From:
Carol D'Agostino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 13:26:45 -0400

Thanks to all those who responded concerning the GF status of Benydryl.
The overwhelming majority said Benydryl is not GF, because:

The company has said they do not test for gluten on anything.  Benedryl is
not processed in a gluten-free environment and cross-contamination is a
good possibility.  The company does not check with suppliers to make sure
their ingredients are GF.

Altho one person thought Benedryl was GF, another thought the liquid
wasn't but the capsules were, I did get momentary intestional pains this
morning after opening the 25 mg capsule and taking a tiny bit in water.

One person was mystified why Benedryl would be prescribed for sleep since
it is an antihistamine.  Benedryl is commonly prescribed as a sleep aid
because of it's prominent side effect of making you drowsy, so much so
that it is dangerous for one to drive or operate machinery.

Even if it were GF, I wouldn't take it again.  It made me weak, feel sick,
and gave me an all-day headache.

Carol in NY