From:
Robin and Clare Scheffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:40:59 -0700

        I'm flying next month on Alaska Airlines from Seattle, WA to
Ontario, California.  When I called Alaska Airlines to request gluten-free
meals, I was told they cannot accommodate me because "no one requests such
meals".  I asked that they log my request so that their customer service
would know such requests occur.  I was told that they have no way to log
such requests.  How can Alaska Airlines say that no one requests gluten-free
meals when they have no way of logging such requests?!!!

        When I called their customer service department at 206-870-6062,
option 7 (a long-distance phone number) I was placed on hold for over ten
minutes without anyone answering!  I logged onto www.alaskaair.com , chose
their "contact us" button, and emailed my request and complaint.

        I suggest that anyone planning to fly on Alaska (or any other
airline that doesn't carry gluten-free meals) to contact the airline's
customer service in any possible way requesting that they start carrying (or
resume carrying) gluten-free meals.  If enough of us complain frequently
enough, maybe they'll understand that those of us with CD are a larger
population than they realize.

Clare
Arlington, WA

P.S.  The meal the agent requested for me on my flights was a "fruit plate
with no gluten".  Does this mean that the roll normally included with the
fruit plate won't be included from the beginning, or that someone will pluck
it off my plate when they hand it to me?  I guess I'll plan to carry on my
own food.