From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 21:15:04 EDT

Just sharing two sauces that I've come up with. I use them over baked,
broiled, grilled, or pan sauteed fresh fish....such as tillapia (St. Peter's
Fish), chiean sea bass, salmon, cod, etc. (We eat a lot of fish and I use
fresh herbs.)

The amounts can vary...and it depends on how many servings you're making. The
key is to start small. Taste. Experiment. I don't actually measure the
ingredients. You need to make them to taste, but this is the general idea.
(Usually, I eat in a restaurant and then try to copy it.)

Dill sauce Over low heat, stir sour cream, dilute slowy with milk. Add
diced fresh dill, salt, pepper, to taste. Just dilute so the cream isn't
thick. Stir until warm. I use a about a cup of sour cream for two
people...very little milk.  Sometimes I add seasonings and other dry
herbs, such as tarragon...but use very little. The dill should be the
main flavor.

Mushroom sauce Saute sliced mushrooms (any kind) in butter and olive oil
with a couple of cloves of chopped garlic and salt and pepper. I used
one portabello medium size mushroom and a few button mushrooms for two
people and it worked. When soft, squirt in the juice of half of a lemon
and some (not much) white wine.  Add diced parlsley, chives, oregano,
basil. I used fresh stuff and only took a small amount off the plant and
only one basil leaf. On low heat, allow to simmer so alcohol evaporates
and mushrooms brown. Remove from heat and slowly pour in about a half a
pint or less...of heavy cream....Stir until smooth. I made this tonight
after having had a similar sauce in a restaurant this week, and it was
heavenly.

Sorry I can't give exact amounts. I play when I cook. I try to keep in mind
which thing is supposed to be the main flavor and use the herbs and spices
sparingly...except for garlic. We love garlic and I probably use more recipes
call for. And be careful not to let the sauces get runny. They should be
alittle thicker than just liquid.

Let me know if you try these or if you have one to share. I do not know how
these would come out if you use milk substitutes, so please, if you're
lactose intolerant, I have no suggestions other than to tell you to mask the
flavor of the substitute with herbs and spices.

Lin