From:
Lila Brendel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:56:56 -0500

FINALLY...  Thanks to everyone who responded.

Web Sites - Crockpot recipes
www.forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages
www.glutenfree.homestead.com/homepage.html

Beef stew:  (GF all purpose) floured and browned the meat (a big, cheap
cut about 3" thick), put it in the crock pot with a minced onion, a
couple sticks of celery, a can of tomatoes, a can of mushrooms, some
herbs and water.  Cooked on low for about 10 hours (it was a really
cheap piece of meat, and I figured it would be shoe-leather).  After a
few hours I added some carrots.  It turned out really well, and very
tender.  Served it with some potatoes cooked on the stove at the last
minute.  Would also have been good with mashed potatoes or rice.  The
flour from the initial browning made the "sauce" sort of gravy-ish, but
could've added some cornstarch to the juices to make it thicker.

Chicken:  I cut up a chicken, add a can of Swanson Chicken broth, and
cook it for 8 hours on medium.  It falls apart, and is moist and
flavorful.

Vegetable Soup:  I throw in the stew meat, a can of corn, a can of green
beans, one onion, chopped, 4 or 5 potatoes - peeled and chopped, 3
carrots, peeled and chopped, and whatever other vegetables you feel
like.   You could just use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, no need to
thaw.   Then I fill up the crockpot with tomato juice, add a little salt
and pepper, and cook it until I get home.

...One of our favorite crockpot recipes is to put chopped carrots,
onion,= and celery in the bottom of the crock.  Put meat on top (a whole
chicken, chicken pieces, or a roast) add salt and pepper and 1/2 to 1
cup water.= If cooking chicken, I add some basil on top of the chicken.
Cook on low 10-12 hrs; high 5 - 6 hrs.  I have read that it is best to
start any crockpot dish containing meat on high for about 45 min.  I
usually do that and then cook on low 8 - 9 hours.  The amount of
vegetables doesn't matter, but if doing a lot so that I have leftovers,
then I usually add closer to 1 cup of water.  Normally my kids don't
like cooked carrots and celery, but they love it this way because it
cooks in the meat juice.  The leftovers (especially chicken) make great
soup the next night.  I just add cooked rice or GF noodles.

... El Peto makes a gluten free powder that makes beef and chicken
gravy.= I just throw in a frozen roast, chicken, etc... and put a cup of
boiling water with a tsp. of this mix in on top and let it cook all day.
Then I mix the liquid with some cornstarch and water and make gravy and
serve it with rice or potatoes.  Very easy and very tender!

...Easy Crockpot chicken soup: Swanson's chicken broth cans (as many as
you need) Bag of frozen mixed veges (I use the "gormet" type with larger
chunks of veges. Canned checken ( the kind for chicken salad).  Rice
noodles?elbows/spaghetti.  Throw all except noodles in crockpot and cook
on low all day.  Cook noodles about 3 min. and add about 10 min before
serving.

...Take your meat, throw it in with whatever herbs, some liquid [water
stock and/or wine], veggies and let it rip. M y favorite recipe uses
turkey thighs.....figure two servings per thigh.  Get the butcher to
take the bone out. Use left over cornbread and make your favorite
stuffing and put it in the thighs [opt].....salt and pepper to taste,
sliced onions on top, 1/2 bunch fresh clinatro  over the  top about 1
cup calvados [apple brandy and essential], several garlic cloves to
taste. Add veggie of choice [is usally add carrots, mushrooms, corn,
etc... cover and let cook all day on low.  Really good....sprinkle with
some fresh cilantro and serve over rice.

...We eat plenty of chicken (leg quarters are cheap!) and I cut them in
half and put them in the crockpot in layers.  Over the chicken I
sprinkle some garlic salt, Lipton's onion soup mix and GF soy/tamari
sauce.  Then put another layer of chicken and the spices.  It will cook
on high in about 4 hours if thawed, longer is frozen or partially
frozen.  We also do this with pot roast type beef.  The pot roast takes
about 6 hours.  It tastes great and my boys fight for the leftovers.
I've also done the chicken legs with just garlic salt and Ragu
Traditional Pasta sauce over them.

  I've also bought the country-style pork ribs and put them in the
crockpot with some GF barbeque sauce.  There's quite a bit of grease to
drain at the end, but they always come out super tender.  We even make
extra and I shred the leftover meat and mix with more BBQ sauce for BBQ
pork sandwiches the next day.   Corned beef and even a beef roast which
has been marinated overnight in equal parts of oil, white wine and GF
soy/tamari sauce and spices come out great, too.

Barbecued Chicken Thighs:  My family likes chicken thighs, salt and
peppered, and then covered with barbecue sauce (Lea and Perrins is GF).
Place in crockpot on low setting to be done when you return home from
work.  If not in a hurry, this is, also, good baked in oven for 1 hr.,
turning over after 30 minutes.  PS. I take the fat off the chicken
thighs, first, before preparing for the pot.

...Chuck roast with your favorite gf barque sauce.  Cook for 10 to 12
hours.   On low.  Serve with gf onion buns.  Another idea is a whole
chicken with one bottle of Italian dressing.

...Here is an easy tomato free beef stew that I usually made on the
stove top.  I tried it yesterday in the crock pot and it turn out pretty
well.= This filled my big crockpot, but I don't exactly know what
capacity it is.  The recipe calls for potatoes, but you can leave these
out and serve it over noodles.  I used to make a big batch, serve the
first half with noodles and freeze the second half.  Later, I'd make the
second half by adding potatoes and just cooking it until they were done.
With the stove top method, you cook everything until tender, then add
the potatoes at the very end anyway.  This does not freeze for very long
as the vegetables tend to lose their structure - don't freeze for longer
than 1 month.

Crock Pot Hungarian Goulash:

1 1/2 # lean stew beef, cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 c safe flour (I used Featherlight Mix, Modified for no corn when GF)
2 T olive oil
2 T Hungarian Paprika
1 small bag baby carrots
8 ribs celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 med onions, cut into large dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 large potatoes, cut into large dice (or equiv in new red potatoes quartered)
1 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

Coat meat with flour seasoned with salt and pepper.  Heat oil in a large
skillet and brown meat on all sides.  Add more oil if sticking occurs.
Add paprika and saute for about 1 more minute.  Layer ingredients in
crock pot and add water just to cover.  Cook on high for 8-10 hours or
until all everything is tender.  If using potatoes, add after about 2
hours of cooking.  Stir occasionally.  Add peas during the last hour of
cooking.  Adjust seasoning before serving.

Pork Ribs: Put them to cook in the crock pot all day and when I get home
just pop them under the broiler with bbq sauce for a few minutes.  We
use Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce.

A second one it pot roast or stew meat, potatoes (canned whole potatoes
ok) baby carrots and green beans.  Toss in the crockpot with a bouillion
cube and you are done.  Sometimes I thicken the juices with cornstarch
just before serving.

Also chicken pieces and enchilada sauce or salsa. Serve with rice and
mexican condiments.

Pork roast cooked in the crock pot all day. When done pull apart with
forks, add barbecue sauce and make sandwiches.

 Saucy pork chops:

4-6 boneless chops seasoned flour for dredging (I use rice flour)
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 c. chicken broth/stock
2 Tbsp. flour
8 oz. sour cream

Dredge chops in flour, brown on med-high on both sides.  Layer chops
with onions in crockpot.  Pour in broth.  Cover, cook on low 7-8 hours.
Stir 2 Tbsp. flour into sour cream.  Add to crockpot, blend into juices.
Cook on high 30-45 minutes until thickened.  (I have found the sauce
never gets really thick).  Serve over rice, pasta, or toasted bread.

 Arroz con queso
1-1/2 cups raw converted rice
1 lb. whold tomatoes
1 lb. mexican-style beans
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion, minced
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup cottage cheese
4 oz. chopped green chilies, drained
2 cups shredded Jack cheese, divided

Mix all ingredients except 1 cup Jack cheese.  Grease the crockpot well.
 (Don't skip this step!)  Pour into crockpot.  Cook on low 6-9 hours.
Top with remaining Jack cheese and let melt just before serving.

Mexican crockpot meatloaf

2 lb.s ground beef
2/3 cup taco sauce (or salsa)
4 Tbsp. packaged taco mix (substitute chili powder, cumin, and cayenne)
2 cups coarsely crushed corn chips
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup grated Jack or Cheddar cheese

 Mix all ingredients.  Shape into loaf and place in crockpot.  Cover,
cook on low 8 - 10 hours or high 3.5 - 5 hours.

...I put a big roaster of meat in the oven on Saturday or Sunday
afternoon, add 1 or 2 packages of Liptons Onion Soup mix, cover with
water, put the lid on the roaster and leave it in the oven until it's
done. I will often put pork, chicken, and beef together in the same
roaster.  They still end up tasting like beef, pork and chicken. Then,
during the week, I can have stir fry, BBQ, hot roast beef sandwiches,
"steak" or chicken salad,= etc.  Sure makes life easy during the week.

...Ideas for the crockpot: bean soups, pot roast, tender chicken, BBQ
whatever (put 1/2 c. water in crock, place rack in, put down layer of
meat, layer of BBQ sauce, layer of meat, layer of sauce... end with
layer of sauce) served over rice with green salad on the side.

...Most meats (about 3 pounds in size) will be thoroughly cooked on hi
in 3-4 hours or low in 5-6 hours.  Toss in a (1) whole chicken and herbs
(rosemary and thyme) maybe a few slices of lemon, (2) boneless leg of
lamb with whatever herbs you want, (3) a whole chicken with barbeque
sauce, or (4) a slab of beef with onions, garlic, beef stock, and
oregano for french dip sandwiches.  I once tried a gf terriyaki chicken
but feel the poor results were because I cooked it on hi rather than
low.  Oh, don't forget those bean soups!!

BARBECUED BEEF ROAST
1 1/4 lb. lean beef roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
2 large onions, minced
1 green pepper, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. GF beef bouillon granules
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tsp. GF ketchup
1/4 tsp. GF apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. GF Worcestershire sauce

 Put crockpot; cook on high for 1/2 hour.  Lower heat to low, cook all day.

...The best idea I can give you for using a pressure cooker is the two
books that I use (extensively). Most of the recipes are already GF, and
all but 1 or 2 of those that aren't are easily convertible. The other
thing

I have to say about these two books is that I've *never* had a recipe
"failure" using either book - I can take something that sounds
interesting, and serve it to guests the first time I make it!  The books
are both by the author Lorna Sass - one is called "Great Vegetarian
Cooking Under Pressure" and the other (older) book is called simply
"Cooking Under Pressure". I imagine they'd be available at your local
bookstore or from Amazon -= get the hardbacks - you're going to need
them ;-) p.s. My 6 year old has been happily eating recipes from these
books since she was 2...