Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:38:11 +0100

On 28 Apr 2001, at 20:26, Kemp Randolph wrote:

> I'd like to add some factual material about wheat starch for celiacs,
> rather than personal opinions. In Finland there is a wheat starch and
> products made therefrom approved by the Finnish celiac society. Dr.
> Maki and collaborators conducted an eight year study that included
> biopsies of two groups. Both followed an otherwise gluten free diet.
> One group used that wheat starch, the other did not.  At the end of
> eight years they were unable to find any difference in biopsies
> between the two groups. For these celiacs a certain low level of
> gluten was safe. THis is the best evidence supporting the use of
> suitably clean wheat starch in the celiac diet.

I'm glad somebody has published something factual about this -
there's some wild opinions around. On a number of occasions I've
quoted to individuals from one of the booklets issued by the
Coeliac Society in the UK to all its members. Quoting it again here
seems appropriate -

"There are two types of wheat starch:

* Commercial wheat starch which is not pure enough to be suitable
for coeliacs.

* Specially manufactured wheat starch which complies with the
International Gluten-free Standard (Codex Alimentarius) and can
safely be included in the gluten-free diet.

Wheat starch of this purity is expensive and it is most commonly
used in products specially-manufactured for Coeliacs to provide
palatable and acceptable bread and flour sutstitutes."

I hope that helps put the matter to rest.

Jeff in London, UK