From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 09:02:23 -0400

This recipe produces a non-crumbling cookie which looks and tastes like
the real thing, so to speak, if not, indeed superior.  It is adapted
from the 11th edition of the Fanny Farmer Cookbook.

Heat oven to 400.

Cream together:

1/2 c. shortening
1/2 c. sugar (I use 1/4 c. plus stevia, to taste)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring

Stir in
1 egg

Sift together:

1 1/2 c. flour (I use 1/2 c. lentil, chickpea, or other bean flour for
texture; 1 scant 1/4 c. potato starch, one generous 1/4 c. tapioca
flour; 1/2 c. mixed rice flour, again for texture, and depending on your
preference:  I mix white rice, brown rice and rice bran)
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp powdered cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Add to the creamed mixture and blend.  Spread a scant half of the dough
in a butter shallow pan, roughly 9 in. square or about 6 x 9 oblong.
HINT: If you distribute the dough in the pan by spoonsful it is easier
to spread it with a lightly floured palm of the hand.

Cover the dough with lemon curd (sometimes called lemon cheese) or other
slightly tart jam or marmalade--citrus marmalade is delicious).  Spoon
the rest of the dough on top and spread evenly.

Bake 25 minutes.  (If you turn the oven off and let it cool in the oven
it acquires a terrific texture and a look to be envied by any baker.)
Cut into bars and try not to eat the whole batch in one fell swoop.

Since lemon curd is very eggy it helps bind the dough, thus I prefer it
for best results.  I find this one of the best cookies so far.

Nancy in nyc