Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:16:04 -0700
From:
Sue Jeno <[log in to unmask]>

For those of you whose gardens are producing ample quanities of zucchini this
summer, here are two recipes to help "use them up".  Both have been modified to
be gluten free.  Both are excellent and no one will know they are GF!  I use
Hagman's Four Flour Bean Mix for the flour, but you can use any GF flour mix (I
have used rice flour mixes with these recipes in the past).  Happy baking!!

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 cups grated raw zucchini (yellow or green - both work equally well)
1/2 cup raisins
3 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups GF flour mix
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 teaspoon each of salt, baking soda, baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Beat eggs, add sugar, oil, zucchini, vanilla.  Mix well.  Add all other
ingredients.  DO NOT BEAT.  Batter will be soft.  Pour into greased and floured
loaf pans.  Bake 1 hour at 325 degrees.

This recipe will make 2 loaves (normal bread sized pans) or 6 small loaves (I
use the small aluminum pans you use for gifts at holiday times.  I think they
are about 3 x 5 inches)

Zucchini Cake

3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups grated zucchini
3 teaspoons vanilla

Mix the above ingredients together then add:

2 1/2 cups GF flour mix
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts
3/4 cup chopped dates (be sure these are GF and not rolled in oat flour to keep
them from sticking together - I chop my own fresh to be certain)

Pour into a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or
until center is firm.  The top will be brown.

Butterscotch Frosting

1 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk

Combine the above and let boil over medium heat for 3 minutes.  Stir so that it
does not burn on bottom.  Add 1 1/2 cups ppowdered sugar and mix well.  If
frosting should get thick to spread, add a little milk.  (This frosting will
harden like fudge on top of the cake.)

Sue in North Dakota