From:
Jenn Cain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 22:48:52 EDT

well, we're back and i didn't lose any weight (or gain any either!)  the
cruise was wonderful and as expected, food was a bit of a struggle, but not
impossible.   first, i contacted norwegian cruise lines three times on my
own, my travel agent contacted them, and i e-mailed them (they did not
request me to).  when i arrived, i contacted the matre'd and explained my
situation.  it was as if no one was expecting me, though he did assure me
that they handle special diets on a regular basis.  he tracked down the chef
and i met with him later that afternoon.  the chef did not know that i
couldn't have french fries if they were deep fried in the same oil as breaded
stuff.  he also didn't know that a regular toaster could contaminate bread.
(they must have received my fax because there was some gf bread on board).
the cruise was freestyle so you could eat when and where you wanted, which
left me checking with different people on ingredients.....it was a bit of a
bummer.  i got sick once (curry dish).  for supper, i ate in the same
restaurant and spoke with the same matre'd that i met when i first boarded
and every night he was helpful and i ate plenty of food, even though it was
bland compared with everyone else's.  most lunches on board were on big weber
grills and were safe.  breakfasts were fresh cooked omelets and bacon and i
had no problem.  on shore, i sometimes brought my own food (saved money too!)
and if i tried to eat out, i had pretty good luck  except for a restaurant in
bar harbour, the runimunan (or something like that). for the first time in
the two years since rx, the waiter refused to try and accommodate me.  he
said their kitchen was too busy for a special request (i asked for fresh fish
and vegetables with some olive oil in foil).  he didn't have a problem taking
someone's fries back to have them recooked well done though.  and yes i did
inform someone there that this had never happened before, most restaurants
were VERY good at trying to accommodate me.  other than that, it was a good
cruise, not as carefree as i would have liked, but i don't think any public
excursion will be.  i would recommend that if you want to go on a cruise, do
it.....just make sure you try to communicate every way possible, a find a
good soul on board to help you and stick with him or her (some people on the
ship tried, but didn't "get it").  if you have any more questions, feel free
to ask.  jenn in illinois.