From:
Ingrid Botha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 16:01:01 +1000

Hi fellow travellers,

I've just returned from a trip home to Australia from Canada.  I was
delighted when the Air Canada staff member mentioned my special meal after
everyone was seated.  However, the flight from Winnipeg to Vancouver was
rerouted via Calgary due to technical problems, and you guessed it, the
gluten free meal stayed on the tarmac with the original plane.  I was not
the only one suffering, as all any passenger got (in cattle class, anyway)
was a single packet of chips to tide them over both legs to Vancouver.  I
must say that I had no (food) problems on the return flight.  Qantas were
very good, however my gluten free meal from Hawaii was accompanied by a very
nice looking piece of toxic cake.  The staff member I spoke to assured me
she would notify the Hawaiian catering company that this is a no-no.  All
other meals there and back were fine.

Can I re-emphasise the importance of checking with EACH carrier on your
flights - only the first carrier (Air Canada) got the request that
accompanied my booking, but Qantas were very happy to accommodate the
request when I checked with them the day before my flight.

Regards,
Ingrid.