From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:36:44 -0400

I just came from my granddaughter's baseball game.  There was a little
girl there, who is 6 this month.  She was about the size of a 3 year
old, and extremely thin.....mostly just skin covering bone.

I asked her grandfather the cause, and he said Crohn's disease.  Stated
they tube feed her thru the abdomen, but had finally tried feeding her
normally, but she didn't gain any weight.    She seems like a bright
little girl and runs around just like any normal child....except for her
size.   Grandpa stated that eventually she will just burn herself out.

I came home thinking about her and began wondering.  I am sure they have
probably had every test in the book done, and maybe covered all other
things....... but she seemed like the picture of all our
symptoms...failure to thrive, small for age, malnourished,
malabsorption, etc. etc.   There will be another baseball game tomorrow
night and I am wondering if I should ask the mom if celiac was ever
considered, or if she even tried a GF diet.

I am asking everyone for their thoughts on this.   This listserv always
mentions how celiac is misdiagnosed as other things.....   is Crohn's
one of them?

Thanks everyone.

Bev