From:
Holly Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:04:57 EDT

Hi listmates.

After over two years of searching for answers, have finally gathered enough
information to conclusively get a diagnosis of Celiac for my 12 year old
daughter.  Had Dr. Fine's tests run on her, and now have conclusive evidence:
some antigliadin antibody, antitissue transglutaminase antibodies, two
predisposing genes, symptoms, and improvement on the diet.  (She also tested
positive for yeast and milk sensitivity.)  Doctor Fine said that she has
"Clinically Significant Gluten Sensitivity."

My question is this: now that I am "armed" with my laboratory reports and
various evidence (school attendance records, weight gain, etc.), I want to
take all this to the family doctor.  I want to have an "official diagnosis."
Or do I?

In your experiences, is it better to have a diagnosis or not?  What
insurance ramifications are there?  Social benefits or disadvantages?
My husband says I would be "giving her a disability" by getting this
recorded in her medical records.  Are future insurance companies likely
to put exclusions/restrictions because of it?  Perhaps Dr. Fine's
opinion of "Clinically Significant Gluten Sensitivity" is a better label?

Opinions, please.

Thanks.

Holly in SC