From:
Elaine Mathews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:17:05 -0500

Dear Listmates:

If one molecule of gluten is damaging why is it that they are using low
gluten hosts over in Ireland and this is allowed for celiacs over there?
I was taking 1/4 of a low gluten host and I am sure hidden gluten and now I
have dermatomyositis after being on the gluten free diet for almost seven
years.  If any celiacs are experiencing muscle weakness you should get
checked for this because it is autoimmune and attacks your muscles.  The
apparent immune system gene predisposing to juvenile and familial
dermatomyositis is the HLA-DQA1*0501 gene.  This is part of the celiac
gene.  The organization for myositis is www.myositis.org

Here is more research information that I found.  Research shows that
people with autoimmune disease have the same chance of being gluten
sensitive as family members of celiacs and that is 78%.  People who test
without either of these risk factors have a 48% of gluten sensitivity,
high, but a lot lower than autoimmune states.  Everyone should be tested
for gluten sensitivity celiac disease.  You can now test for gluten
sensitivity with Dr. Fine's new stool test at www.enterolab.com

Gluten sensitivity appears to be the trigger for most autoimmune diseases.
This is why children over in Italy are being screened at age 7.  The
Italians have well known this.

Hope this information will help someone.

Elaine