From:
Janet Wager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:32:56 -0500

Thanks for all of you who responded to my posting and inquiry about
Charlotte and Asheville, NC.  Here is a summary of the responses:

CHARLOTTE:

Restaurants:

P.F. Changs at Phillips Place is a celiac friendly place to eat. "Tony" is
the chef.

There is an excellent  restaurant in the downtown area, Bistro 100 in
Founders Hall 704.344.0515. One of the chef's has a celiac mother-in-law
("Gene" is the chef) so he knows what he is doing.  The first time I ate
there he marked a menu with entrees that would be safe for me to eat,
sometimes with adjustments such as no sauce.  email is
www.bistro100restaurant.com

Dakotas  704.541.9990, 8036 Providence Rd. in the Arboretum shopping
center is excellent.  The owner/chef Chris Edwards will adjust any meal
that he can for you.This is a small everything cooked to order place so
the service is just a bit slow but well worth the wait.  Pretty much
always busy so call for reservations. Roasted veggies are good, Creme
Brulee is huge and yummy.  Anything Chris has cooked for me has been
delicious. This place is casual.

I ate at Trio 704.541.8000, 10709 McMullen Creek Pkwy, recently and called
ahead to talk to the chef who said he could cook for me and I was amazed
that our waitress was ready and looking for us. Casual here too.

Uptown is Outback, Blue Marlin.

In Pineville, I have been able to eat at Copeland's, Wing King Cafe' (wings
are not breaded-but I don't know about what all they put in the fryer-I go
to a different location and always bring my own salad dressing). Good
breakfast/brunch @ Courtneys. Grilled chicken salad @ Roadhouse, Steak &
Shake-plain burgers.

Carra
ba's off Indep. and 485.

Stores:

The best bet is probably Talley's Green Grocery, 1408 East Blvd. They
carry energy bread, Food for Life bread in cooler. 704.334.9200.  It is in
a plaza and sort of behind the Outback Steakhouse.

Berrybrook Farm Natural Food Pantry in the same neighborhood,
704.334.6528.  I think one of the owners has Celiac but I have never
talked to her.  You could call and see what they carry.

ASHEVILLE:

Restaurants:

Flying Frog Cafe at 76 Haywood St. in downtown Asheville. (phone: 254-
9411).  The chef was very open to changing sauces, etc.  The menu is
varied with Cajun, Caribbean, Indian, French and fondue selections. The
waiter and chef were eager to accomodate my GF needs. In fact, the chef
prepared a special dish, grilled trout with a walnut sauce, to meet my
needs. It was delicious. The chef is also an owner and cooks there mo st
nights. Highly recommended!

The only place I have ever eaten at, successfully, is Cracker Barrel.  I
usually, stick with the Fried Catfish (coated with pure cornmeal), or
Country Ham.  Vegetables: Baked Potato, plain (good with catfish) and green
beans;  also (good with the ham, turnip greens and pinto beans); there may
be others that are gf, but I'm not sure at this time.  For breakfast, I
stick with bacon and eggs, (no bread).  Plain fruits are always a good
choice, too.

Stores:

Earth Fare, a big supermarket type of health food store, at Westgate
Shopping Center off I-240.  They have GF pasta, cereal, cookies, crackers,
mixes, and Tamarind Tree Dinners.  I'm not sure about frozen bread, I have
never looked for that.  But their selection is so good, I would be
surprised if they didn't.  It carries a number of gluten free items, it

also has a buffet type restaurant where you might be able to eat.

And, suggestions for those traveling north on the Blue Ridge Parkway: "we
have eaten at "The Corner Palette" in Banner Elk (on the corner, at the
traffic light) in the past. The food is wonderful, a great chef (he and his
wife own the restaurant."

In Boone,(adjacent to Blowing Rock) 2 health food stores:

  Razberry's  on Blowing Rock Road   828-265-2700
  Bare Essentials on "     "   "     828-262-5592