From:
Renee Cronenwalt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:01:09 EDT

Thank all the many people who took the time to respond.

The vast majority said that hydrolyzed soybean protein is fine.  Several
people said they could not eat it, but not because of Gluten, because they
had allergies to soy.

The reason I asked the questions is that I got all excited when I saw two
products from Crystal, manufactured by Baumer Foods, Inc. in New Orleans.
The are Soy Sauce and Teriaki Sauce.  I was shopping in the 99cent store and
they had 12 oz bottles of these products for 99cents.

The ingredients on the teriaki sauce label are Hydrolyzed soybean and corn
protein, water, red wine, pineapple juice, molasses, corn syrup, salt, brown
sugar, less than. 1% of sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate as
preservatives, and spice extract

The ingredients on the soy sauce labels are hydrolyzed soybean and corn
protein, water, corn syrup, salt, and caramel color.

I finally located a phone number for Baumer and called the company directly.
They did not have a clue about gluten or gluten free, but when I spoke to
someone of rank, he told me that the caramel color is derived from sugar and
the spice extract is a liquid, mostly pepper.  To his knowledge, there are no
grain products in these sauces.  He was certain there was no wheat of any
kind.  He did not however, wish to go on record as stating these products
were GF because he had not had the question raised before and I think, it was
just easier for him to finally say, if you need a guarantee, don't use the
product.

One of the reasons I am so persistent is that the price on the Soy Sauce is
1/3 rd of what the wheat free tamari is, and I have never found a GF Teriaki
sauce.

I am sharing this information am strongly suggest you use your own standards
to judge, but I would appreciate not receiving any lectures about
contamination or preservatives.

Warmest regards, Renee C.