Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 09:59:18 -0800
From:
Sandra Lutz <[log in to unmask]>

My questions were : Can just being around flour make a rash worse and how
long does it take to go away after going GF.  I also asked about the latex
gloves I use at work.  I asked about DH even though I don't think my  rash
is DH, but it is gluten generated.

Several people thought it could be an allergy to latex or the powder used in
the gloves.  One said I could order from durgstore .com, latex free,
powder free gloves- they sell them in boxes of 50.

*****

Sometimes I smear topical benadryl over it. Sometimes I spray myself with
lavender water. They give a little relief. Then I try to recite something
to myself that's calming. I do some Reiki and reciting the Reiki principles
seems to help calm me down:

Today I give thanks for my many blessings.
I will not worry.
I will not be angry.
I will do my work honestly.
I will be kind to every living thing.

*****

I went GF on 8/1/99 and my DH is not yet cleared up.  The longest period of
time I have heard that it will take to completely clear up is 35 months.

*****

I have DH and I never have had it on my hands. My elbows, shoulders and head
sometimes take weeks and even months to clear up.

*****

Some suggested I have a skin biopsy done.

*****

Go to some of the celiac sites and read up on dh. My understanding
is that it's problematic, stubborn and stress brings out more incidences of
it. There's medication to help but it has side effects, I gather, and I
decided to eliminate all topical sources of gluten, stick to my diet
religiously and practice being calm : )     I understand food colorings may
trigger this, too.

*****

It was also suggested that I wear a mask while at work to prevent breathing
in the flour.

*****

All I got for many, many years was Cortisone creams. It did not help, only
made the skin very sensitive.  I never gotten any help from doctors. I have
therefore studied and learn for my self.  In my case the problems goes away
weeks after I kept my strict diet.  The thing that helps me the most is
Turmeric. I take it internal to stop the inflammation, and external to stop
the itching. The later is hard at work, very messy and makes everything one
touch red.

*****

This last time it just never seemed to go away, until I took an Essiac
tea, which is a detoxifier.  I couldn't believe it, but slowly but
surely they finally disappeared.

*****

Janice, Inc..  sells glove liners:  http://www.janices.com  If not on
her website, from catalog Vol. 400, page 43, #3306 1 pair silk glove
liners S, M, L.  White..$11.95.; or Cotton Gloves which are washable or
disposable lisle white cotton knit.  One size, #6604 - 6 pair...$7.95.
telephone # 1800-526-4237.

Even after maintaining a gluten free diet, the rash can and does linger on.
Something to do with the Iga in the skin taking its time removing it's self
from your skin.  But it does come and go and itch and etc...

*****

My elbow and knee rashes took almost 6 months to get all the
way better, but some improvement occurred nearly immediately.

my skin does get itchier during a hot shower,
but then feels better afterward than it did before the shower.

I use latex gloves whenever I paint with oil base paint,
and I have sworn that I have a reaction to either the latex
or to powder that the gloves have on them.

Prescription creams like diprolene and cutivate are very good
I find.

My skin got better in 6 months.  But I am over 2yrs gf and still
have problems every week.

*****

My daughter is a nurse and she is allergic to latex gloves.  She had a
rash on her hands but when she changed to rubber gloves her rash went away.

*****

You may want to read the articles on DH at www.celiac.com One of them
said that in order to get blister to biopsy, iodine is applied to the
skin.  It seems that blisters result from iodine only if it is DH.
Might make an interesting experiment at home....

>From what I have read and heard, DH rashes itch like crazy.  There is a new

article on medscape that lists other skin problems associated with celiac
disease and it could be one of those.  Medscape article are listed below.

Bev in Milwaukee

MANAGEMENT OF CELIAC DISEASE
Review the principles of a gluten-free diet and other nutritional
considerations.
UpToDate (C) 2001
http://gastroenterology.medscape.com/34895.rhtml?srcmp=gas-031601

USE OF SERUM ANTIBODIES TO DIAGNOSE CELIAC DISEASE
These assays can be used both for diagnostic purposes and to monitor the
response to a gluten-free diet.
UpToDate (C) 2001
http://gastroenterology.medscape.com/34896.rhtml?srcmp=gas-031601

*****

When DH was at it's worse with me and I put the blisters under hot water it
would magnify the itch many times.

Yes just being around flour will make it worse. Some people have reported
that it takes a long time for the symptoms to go away. The key is a
consistent GF diet.

*****

I still have occasional itching, but not as bad as when I was exposed to the
wheat flour