Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 18:06:28 -0400

Thanks for all the input. The following is a summary of the responses I
received. If there is anyone else out there with a connection to the
industry or detailed knowledge about winemaking please provide us with more
info.

I went to a wine festival today where there were 60 finger lakes
wineries all with tasting booths at Watkins Glen race track.  I talked to
several reps at different wineries, and, although they knew little about the
gluten problem, they knew of no glutens in any wines, including those with
fruit additives, because that, they said, was pure.  I did notice a couple
places with strange cider wines, and decided since it didn't appeal to me
anyway that it was good to stay away from.  So I'm convinced that wine is
still just grapes, and certainly safe.  Still don't know why some others are
wary.  Guess some are naturally suspicious.

You can find all sort of information on what can be legally added to
wines at the ATF website...www.atf.treas.gov

Something in wine,  both red & whites, bothers me....Price doesn't
matter either.  I always end w/ a terrible headache, which is not a
function of how much wine I've had...half a glass gives the same
headache as 2+ glasses.  Not worth the hassle.

I contacted a California vineyard 2 weeks ago with the very question.  They
said that unless it is a flavored wine, then grapes are used and the wine is
GF.  If the wine is flavored, the bottle should be labeled as such and I
would avoid it.

Sometimes, the alcohol content is adjusted using a non-grape source
alcohol.  California has a law against this, so California wine is ok,
except that some California wines now say "natural flavors added."  I think
the problem is mostly with jug wines.

I telephone a winery here in Australia, whose products I particularly
enjoyed, as I suspected that it was the wine that was upsetting my stomach
 this is while I was waiting on my results to come back), and they confirmed
that their wine contained gluten.

I also have a friend who owns a boutique winery here and I asked him why
there would be gluten in wine.  Answer is simple.  It is not made just from
grapes.  When they blend, they use various ingredients such as melons, corn,
wheat etc. to give wine its distinctive taste and flavour.  So, once again,
you would have to check with each winery and on each type and each vintage.

Please do not quote me but the information some people have about wine not
being gluten free comes from a movie where all sorts of junk was added to
wine including flour.  It might have been a Jerry Lewis movie but I am not
sure.  I have seen it referred to here several times as the gospel truth.

white wines are generally g/f. sometimes they put natural flavorings in
them.

That is what you have to watch out for. Read the labels.

i'm a wine student, soon to be winery employee.  and i have celiac.
you're right about wine being gluten free.  and the preservative/
antioxidant you're thinking of is not nitrates -- it's sulfites but only
severe asthmatics have a reaction to sulfur dioxide. there *are* some
*wine products* like wine coolers etc which are fortified with grain
alcohol ... but if the bottle is varietally labelled "cabernet sauvignon
1997 napa valley" there should be no gluten.

winemakers also fine with egg whites and milk (none of this is on the label)
but i have never heard of someone who is allergic to casein or albumin that
gets a reaction from wine.

let me know if you have any other questions (and/or get a post from another
celiac winemaker)

It has been posted on the list several times that all California, Wash and
Ore wines are GF. In fact most wines are GF except for possibly a few
French Mozelles and fortified wines that I'm not sure of.