Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:22:18 -0700
On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:36:52 -0500, you wrote:

>Date:    Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:28:59 -0500
>From:    George W Hurless <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Al440LX Mobo
>
>The Intel AL440LX  motherboard has a fixed FSB @66 MHz & uses SDRAM DIMMS
>@ 66MHz (PC66). Earlier on the list someone said you could use PC100
>DIMMS to upgrade memory. Would not the PC100s run degraded with the fixed
>FSB??

They won't run "degraded"  its just that the fairly minor benefit
faster CPU / RAM communication won't be there. Lets say overall
performance gain of 8-12% depending on the program.  I know lots of
people who changed Moboards just to go from 66MHz FSB to 100 or from
100 to 133 ot to go from UDMA33 to UDMA66 or UDMA 66 to UDMA100
or AGP 2X to AGP4X.

To tell the truth the difference isn't much! In many cases not
perceptable in human terms.

In short don't fear to not bother!

Go ahead and use compatible PC100 or PC133 memory in your board.

Be aware these RAM modules have many design variations (not well
documented! Ram is sold as if it is generic) and LX chipset mainboards
can  have an issue with 2 bank vs 4 bank modules. Often BIOS flash
takes care of this.

Also there is a design limit to total number of chips adressed so
256MB modules can only be used at all if ALL DIMMs are the expensive
"registered" type.  Check your board documentation for allowed RAM
types and combinations. That will hold true but be aware that RAM chip
and module design changes to ease manufacture and reduce costs and
improve reliability but basically 98% of production goes into brand
new boards and if improvements means somewhat  compatibility with old
boards they don't care. Nor can you be absolutely sure before trying.

>Or is there a way to change the fixed FSB speed?

Not on an Intel board! Asus LX boards had 66 , 75 and 83MHz settings.
Stability usually possible at 75.

On the other hand Intel  AL440LX  is about as well documented as Asus
LX boards. Unlike MOST other brand LX boards Intel AL440LX has a more
robust AGP slot in terms of how much current it can handle. Almost no
one realized that video cards would soon suck such power!

>It has a 6.5x
>multiplier for the CPU,

Clock multipliers on latter Intel CPUs are clock locked and ignore
jumpers. This too because Intel frowned on overclocking.
For two reasons. First manufacturing engineers marked the parts at
speeds they would stand behind. And second marketing does not want to
compete with their own premium high end product.

>so it would be nice to be able to up the FSB
>speed.. Is it possible through BIOS configuration?

Nope. Not on an Intel LX board.

>Specs were written when the board came out so I'm curious now what
>changes are possible.

Intel does have  revised notes on this board on their website, But
Intel came late to supporting higher FSB and studiously discourage
"overclocking" or lots of fiddling options..

Your board will probably take up to a 533MHz Celeron PPGA in a Slotket
adapter if you flash the BIOS to the latest.  The fastest PII it would
take is 333MHz.

Not all DIMMS will work (many or most will!) depends on how they are
designed! Its not just a matter of quality either. Basically almost
no RAM manufacturer really CARES if current production is compatible
with old LX boards! Dealers and manufacturers generally will NOT know!

If they test new SDRAM product in LX boards at all it would be in your
Intel AL440LX !  Lots of RAM support issues are taken care of in BIOS
flash and settings though.

Thise are general hard limitations of  LX Chipset.

LX Chipset is the earliest *Pentium II* support  Chipset that
supported AGP, SDRAM, UDMA33. Its stable and good though limited in
CPU speed, The Earlier Pentium II chipsets were lemons that sucked.
The later BX chipset is a tuned up and improved LX chipset.

Personally my main computers are Asus P2L97S  LX chipset with
built in SCSI. They are extremely stable.

Though I build and specify many new and faster systems which are
"better bargains" made out of current parts for new builds they are
often not that much more functional!

My  newer LX computer I built for myself January this year and it has
a 533MHz PPGA  Celeron at 66MHz FSB in a slotket. Its stable at 75MHz
but I have so many drives and cards and data and different OSes I
just didn't find it worth keeping it at that setting for insignificant
gain

It has 2 128MB PC133 ECC DIMMs.
 It has a Voodoo 3 3500 AGP 16MB.  I have this primarily because of
the excellent and fast 2Dsupport. Good for large monitors.   My other
P2L97S is not upgraded yet but the board revision  simply can't power
any except earlier AGP video cards over 8MB or so (unless I modify the
mainboard.)

With your Intel AL440LX you are compatable with a considerably  wider
selection of video cards.

**So my general advice to owners of stable LX mainboards is...**

1. Flash your BIOS

2.  Look into upgrading the CPU to a 533PPGA  Celeron in a slotket
(the 533FCPGA does NOT work!)

2. Add or replace RAM with128MB DIMMs but buy  where you can take it
back because about 20% of current SDRAM designs doesnt work in LX .

3. Choose your video card upgrade with care.

4. Avoid hardware that sucks up CPU cycles. Like winmodems,
winprinters, cheapass CDRWs, video capture cards that do it all with
software.

5. Save the money for things you can really actually notice the
difference!
like...
21" monitor, 10,000 RPM 4.5ms hard drive, SCSI CDRW burner, Color
LASER printer,  DSL (fast internet connection is  still way slower
than a 450MHz computer!)

6. Of course if your primary use is the latest heavy fast reflexes
action games ignore all this and replace your mainboard, CPU,  RAM and
video card every year.

Mark Paulson

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml