From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 18:45:25 -0400
>> If the cow is fattened with grains, wouldn't the resulting beef cause
>> allergy to those with wheat allergy and/or gluten intolerance?

Gluten intolerance is an intolerance to the protein in many grains and
grasses.  Your body isn't able to break those down as well as it breaks
down the protein in other sources of food.  The gluten is large and complex
and the body dosen't know how to deal with it properly.  The ruminant gut
is made to absorb those proteins--in fact, that is the primary type of
protein it expects to survive on.

The best way to look at it is that meat animals convert foods which are
indigistible to humans into tasty meat which is.  We cannot, for example,
live if we try to eat nothing but grass but ruminants can live on nothing
but.

It's possible that certain chemicals the animals ingest might poison their
tissues, but gluten is a natural for most of these animals to handle.  Our
problem is that the proteins and carbohydrates in so many of these foods is
too complex for our systems to digest or handle properly.  Running it
through an animal first turns it into stuff we -can- eat.  :-)

 -=-=-

Once in a while you get shown the light/
 In the strangest of places if you look at it right   ---Robert Hunter

http://www.syndicomm.com/esmay